How I went to the gym to see something ridiculous – and why it matters to the way your team works.Continue reading “The Right Time (Video)”
If you ever received an instant message or email from me, you know why it’s important to mute your phone notifications before going to bed. I rarely reply to evening messages later than at 4:30 AM, which leads to a conclusion that I wake up even earlier. The whole concept of early rising is popular ever since the personal development was invented.
It is well to be up before daybreak, for such habits contribute to health, wealth, and wisdom.
As it’s extremely easy to write about so popular and well described idea, you just can’t avoid the advocates of waking up before rest of the world. Myself I could talk about it for hours, sharing examples of how it makes my life better. Even my Instagram is full of this propaganda.
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
– Benjamin Franklin
Thing is though, everything in life has a price tag attached. What would be the cost of being healthy, wealthy, and wise?
- There’s nobody around. Literally. You’re there all alone. It’s perfectly fine if whatever you’ve planned for the morning can be done in solitude. Many things can’t. While we’re at it…
- Devastating majority of businesses are closed. That excludes some 24/7 gyms, gas stations, or – if you’re truly blessed – your clients in another timezone.
- It’s dark and cold. That is kind of an issue especially during winter time. While I truly enjoy jogging when there’s no dog owner around, doing it in darkness can be dangerous.
- You’re likely to be devoid of energy when everyone else is still alive, exercising their social lives. It’s not that of an issue for some, for instance – six and half hours is more than enough for me. It is a rare gift though, and you don’t want to be ”that guy” falling asleep when even small kids are still active.
- Speaking of social life – try setting the alarm clock so that it wakes you up and, at the same time, allows whoever else is in your bed staying there. Good luck!
- You might become completely out of sync from the rest of the world. Last weekend I had a breakfast with some friends at 9:30AM. For me, it was lunch.
- If it feels like it’s not for you, you’re probably right. We’re not the same. Not only our sleep patterns differ – they evolve over the course of our lives. Remember that the next time you make sarcastic note to that lazy teenager – they need 9 to 10 hours of sleep each day.
And whenever you’re told that some legendary CEO wakes up at some ridiculous hour, think of the dozens of others, who sleep the way they want.
Put no trust in the benefits to accrue from early rising, as set forth by the infatuated Franklin.
– Mark Twain
With that said, given it’s almost 5AM, let me get to my gym, destroy myself there, and then enjoy the coffee at sunrise.
For me, it’s worth the price.